Saturday, November 1, 2014

Our Trip to Thailand: DAMNOEN SADUAK FLOATING MARKET (Oct. 29, 2014)

November 1, 2014

We left our service apartment in suburban South Bangkok (called Parks 9) a little past 8 am in order to avoid traffic and reach our destination early. The trip took about 2 hours along fast-moving highway. It is right-hand drive here in Thailand, so the fast driving pace of our driver Khun Noi (his name is Noi, and "Khun" is a title of respect) looked precarious at times, especially since it was raining hard along the way. It was only our second day in Bangkok, so I was not used to his driving style yet. We reached the place safe and sound nevertheless. The town of Damnoen (read as 'dam-nun") Saduak felt like Laguna, Pagsanjan in particular.



We seemed to be the only people there at this dock. Our driver said it was because it was a weekday, so the place was not full. This place is packed on weekends. An old lady whom I assume was the owner of the place charged us 1500 Baht for an hour for a long rowboat and boatman. With the boatman rowing from the rear, there were four rows for us to sit on, maximum of two people per row. Because of clouds warning of impending rain, we were given hats and umbrellas just in case. 


Along the way to the market, we  saw other boats. These were better-looking than ours, were motorized and had a roof over the seats. These had mostly Russian-looking tourists on them. I do not know where they began their boat rides, nor do I know how much their rides were. I hope for our sake it was much more expensive than ours, haha!


The first ten minutes of riding along a quiet neighborhood was relatively calm. It gave me some sort of a "Pee Mak" vibe, recalling the hit horror-comedy film my kids and I enjoyed recently. Then, we went through an arch announcing the name of the market. When we turned left at one corner, and there it was -- a floating market bustling with activity. Our boatman took us from one merchant boat to another or canal-side stalls (most likely his relatives and friends), who tried selling us souvenir trinkets to Thai silk items to native food delicacies. There were some big items too, like paintings, or wall decor, or wood puppets and statuettes. 


These merchants were to be haggled with. Do not buy right away with their first price offer, unless you are willing to give them a huge profit willingly. I do not like bargaining myself so I do not really like markets like these. Fortunately, my wife knows how to drive a hard bargain (and enjoys it) so she was able to get some very good deals. The first items she bought were a silk shawl/jacket and a package of six silken coin purses. The silk shawl was first quoted at 800 baht. The purses were quoted at 500 baht per pack. My wife was able to bargain it down to 500 baht for BOTH items. I would not have been able to do that. My kids got a first-hand close look at the haggling process for the first time.


We did not really buy too much, just a few small souvenir items we were planning to give our family and friends back home. We were not really aware of how much these things cost in the city proper so we were apprehensive to buy. Anyway, it was the wonderful atmosphere of the floating marketplace itself that was the unforgettable experience. We saw Caucasian tourists eating their coconut ice cream from coconut shells, buying from old ladies selling them on their own little boats. (Maybe we should have been brave enough to try some delicacies, but we were not.) There were tourists posing with an albino python on the shore somewhere along the way. It was interesting to observe how the boatmen and merchants were able to make their way along the traffic on certain very narrow busy stretches of canal. 


On the way back, our boatman was paddling a bit faster since the rain was about to fall hard. We noted that this was already around lunchtime and good number of shops were actually closed already or closing down. I do not know if they closed for lunch or for rain. When the drizzle began to get stronger to a frank downpour, we have reached the safety of the dock just in the nick of time. We gave our boatman a tip of 40 baht, and he seemed satisfied. There were photos taken of us in the boat, selling at 100 baht each, but we decided not to buy them anymore. Looking back, maybe we should have bought at least one, huh? 


Overall, I thought this was a fun way to spend the morning. I don't know if I was ripped off or not with the price of the boat rental. It may have been too expensive and we could have haggled, but that is over and done with already. The merchants seemed to be selling stuff at a much higher price than the city, this place being touristy and all. It would be better if you had an idea of how much these things are in the city so you know how to haggle. Otherwise, just enjoy the boat ride and the unique rustic atmosphere like I did. As I cross this destination off my bucket list, this once is already enough for me. 


19 comments:

  1. I think I visited all these that you went to. :-) Thailand is one of the closest place in my heart. It marked my first international travel, and I sure enjoyed the education I got from this country. One thing I enjoy about traveling is I get to educate myself about geography, culture, life, and business. :-) I also saw patriotism and unity in this country (at least in the place where I stayed and visited). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is one of the must visit/must try for every tourist going to Thailand. I'm planning to try this when I go to Thailand next year but isn't it scary? Aren't the waters strong? I mean, won't the water's current go strong?

    Me and my mom are just really afraid of boating. For some reason, we always think it's drowning. HAHA!

    And may I give my hands up to your wife? She's got a bargaining power! We need her! Haha. Can we take her with us when we go to Thailand? :p Just kidding. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. bangkok! It's the place I hope to visit most (besides taiwan) did you spend a lot on your this particular trip?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not much of a traveller... I'm a little nervous about taking the children out of the UK to be honest. Thailand is definitely one of the places on my bucket list amongst a few others,

    The floating market place looks amazing though!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to visit the floating market someday. It looks amazing and a unique opportunity of a lifetime. Like Louise, I'm concerned about safety.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is true that sometimes traders and sellers make a lot of money from the tourists ignorance about the standard prices of goods in the city but that is their way of survival. Some of them depend only on the tourist season to survive economically. Anyways, I really enjoyed your post and pics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't visited Thailand yet. This place excites me more to visit Thailand :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually have no idea about the boat price in the floating market, because when i went to Thailand I wasn't able to visit it, and instead we went to the big Chatuchak market.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1500 baht is a tat expensive but afterall these floating markets are targeted at tourists. The real floating markets don't really exists in Bangkok anymore.
    If I remember correctly, the real ones still can be found in places like Changmai, more rural areas where traffic and convenience are out of reach.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey,,, you changed your blog layout? Nice!!! Well, I can't wait for my trip to Thailand next year... This will be one of the places I am going to~~~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. I am in Thailand and I've been here for almost 7 years but I've never been here in this particular floating market. I am embarrassed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wanna experience this floating market :P It looks really cool! I love Thailand.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. From movies to theatrical plays, and now, travel. I should realize Fred you are a heck of a reviewer. Okay forgive me for that ad hominem (albeit not the negative type) remark there, but hey looks like it's the first time I passed by here. (or correct me if I'm wrong though. haha!)

    Anyway, Thailand looks a nice place (and indeed it is according to my sister who once traveled there), and your posts backed her thoughts this time after years of well, I admit, unconvincingly thought. From elephants to floating markets, what more can this country lose? Such a cool place at all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is something I have yet to do, a canal cruise. Thailand has different facets and this is one of them. I should add this to my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Floating Market, WOW I wanna experience that! Very unique tourist attraction of Thailand. I'm curious with the budget. Anyways, nice to know that you all enjoyed the trip! Waiting to see more! Food pics please:)

    JeniG of Kalikotpepot

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ideally, it is not wise to buy stuffs from this kind of places as the price is doubled than than its original price. In Pratunam, you can buy the same stuff for a very low price but I'm glad you didn't get many things from there. In my 4 years stay here in Thailand, I have been to that market only once and it is an interesting place.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an awesome trip. Visiting Thailand is on my to do list. I also would have preferred the row boat for the authentic experience through the market. And every place has a tourist trap like New York City and Times Square. Thank you for sharing. Like JeniG I would love to see some food photos :)

    http://www.chroniclesofagourmetress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is an exciting place! It has a Venice kind of feel to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks like fun! But, I don't have the powers to haggle! My boyfriend should definitely take care of that one.

    ReplyDelete